Thursday, May 2, 2013

Product Review and Swatches- Chanel Stylo Eyeshadows


Eyeshadow sticks for Spring/Summer


Chanel's latest collection, L'ete Papillon de Chanel, launched recently and has whipped up quite a frenzy in the makeup world and with good reason, the collection is inspired by butterfly wings!

I was lucky to snag a few shades of the Stylo Eyeshadow and will be reviewing them in this post.

The shades I bought were:
 
L'ete Papillon de Chanel Stylo Eyeshadows- Moon River, Cool Gold, Jade Shore
Top to Bottom: 07 Moon River, 17 Cool Gold, 07 Jade Shore
37 Jade Shore: Green-blue with green-gold micro shimmer 
Chanel stylo eyeshadow in 37 Jade Shore
37 Jade Shore


17 Cool Gold: Light yellow gold with gold micro shimmer
Chanel stylo eyeshadow in 17 Cool Gold
17 Cool Gold

 
07 Moon River: Taupe with subtle bronze micro shimmer


 
Chanel Stylo eyeshadow in 07 Moon River
07 Moon River

Pigmentation:

According to Chanel, the water-infused formula creates a shimmering veil on the lids.  I actually agree with them.  All the shades I tried went on sheer.  However, the color is buildable if you go back and forth a couple of times.  I also compared these to the Illusion D'ombre eyeshadows that Chanel carries and the Stylos are definitely more pigmented than the Illusion D'ombres. 

Swatches:

These are heavy swatches (I went back and forth a couple of times to bring out the color of these shades).

Note: Jade shore showed up more blue than green in the swatch below.  It's more greenish in real life.

Moon River swatch, Cool Gold swatch, Jade Shore swatch
Left to Right: Moon River, Cool Gold, Jade Shore


Ease of Application:

The stylo eyeshadows are in a stick form and packaged in a pen applicator that twists up.  

The packaging ROCKS because:
  1. Easy to travel with-  The lid to the applicator snaps down with a sharp click and is very secure.  I don't have to worry about the lid coming loose in my bag and all sorts of gunk sticking to the eyeshadow.
  2. Precision- If I'm in the car or on the train, I can just whip the stylo out and swipe my eyes with it.  The shape of the eyeshadow stick is contoured to the shape of the eye and that makes it easy to get a precise swath of color.

Longevity:

The Stylo eyeshadows have a water-infused formula and they were cooling to the lids when I applied them.  The cooling sensation lasted while the eyeshadows set- about 10-15 seconds.  They didn't budge once they set and I wore them for 7 hours without any issues.  There was slight fading after 7 hours but it wasn't horrendous.  Also, I have the world's oiliest lids so this product is definitely long lasting!

Overall Rating:

These eyeshadows perform as advertised.  However with the exception of Jade shore, the other shades seem to be easily dupeable.  Several drugstore brands and premier brands carry long wearing eyeshadows nowadays and while the shades are lovely, the price point ($34 for 0.05 oz) makes it more of a splurge than a "must buy" in my opinion. 

I hope you found this review helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

have a lovely day,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions