The Color of Heat, Beat and Exotic Glamour......
Summer 2013 seems to be all about the tropics- sultry greens and blues, coppery tones and shimmery finishes. First Dior and now, MAC, captures the essence of the tropics for us. The promo pics made me think of samba and bossa nova and Joao Gilberto, it made me crave sunshine and beaches in Brazil..
So, without further ado, play some samba and read on..
Mineralize SkinfinishesMy heart beats just a little bit faster for MAC's mineralize skinfinishes.
Shimmery, matte or satin, I love them all..dearly :) I use them as eyeshadows, highlighters and blushes and yes, they make me happy. Very happy.
Tropical Taboo features 5 mineralize skinfinishes retailing for $30 each.
Soft and Gentle and Gold deposit are permanent while the remaining three are limited edition.
- Adored: Warm coral with light beige pearl
- Rio: Deep bronze with pale pink pearl
- Lust: Frosty pale pink with rose-brown pearl
- Soft and Gentle: Gilded peachy bronze
- Gold Deposit: Frosty golden-bronze
Top row (L-R): Adored, Rio, Lust
Bottom row (L-R): Soft and Gentle, Gold Deposit
Mineralize Eye ShadowsThis collection features 6 mineralize eye shadows. They are limited edition and retail for $23.50. They're slightly larger than the regular MAC eyeshadows at 0.10 oz. They can be used dry for a sheer wash or wet for a more intense, metallic look.
As gorgeous as they look, I don't think I'll be investing in them because MAC's mineralize eyeshadows tend to be spotty performers, in my experience. If you're interested in learning more about these, Christine at Temptalia has a helpful review here.
- Bossa Blue: Royal blue with chocolate brown veining
- Caribbean: Rose with coppery-red veining
- Cha-Cha-Cha: Deep blue-green with lime-green veining
- Dare to Bare: Pale lilac and pink with yellow gold veining
- Time and Tango: Lavender with silver veining
- Tropica: Silvery blue with purple veining
|Top Row (L-R): Bossa Blue, Caribbean, Cha-Cha-Cha. |
Bottom Row (L-R): Dare to Bare, Tropica, Time and Tango
Kohl Power Eye PencilsThere are 2 eye pencils in this launch and they retail for $16. Orpheus is limited edition whereas Feline is part of MAC's permanent range.
I have Orpheus from a previous launch and as pretty as it is, the formula is not at all creamy. It's hard and you have to go back and forth a few times to get a decent payoff. I typically warm it on the back of my hand before wearing it on my waterline. I'm hoping they've improved the formula with this launch.
- Orpheus: Black with gold pearl
- Feline: Rich black
|L-R: Orpheus, Feline|
Mineralize BlushesThis collection features 3 mineralize blushes. They are limited edition and retail for $25 each. I am currently testing all three for you and will have reviews and swatches soon! :) How gorgeous is Simmer btw? That sweet melange of peach and rose, mmmm mmm good..
- Exotic Ember: Burnt orange with chocolate bronze pearl
- Simmer: Deep Rose with peachy gold pearl
- Sweet Samba: Deep pink with tan pearl
|L-R: Exotic Ember, Simmer, Sweet Samba|
Mineralize Rich LipsticksThis collection highlights 6 mineralize rich lipsticks from MAC's permanent range with the exception of Midnight Mambo, which isn't permanent. I hope they make it permanent because it's a *gorgeous* shade.
The lipsticks retail for $22 and are slightly larger than the regular MAC lipsticks at 0.14 oz.
- Divine Choice: Cool bubblegum pink
- Glamour Era: Brown with peach undertones
- Lady at Play: Warm coral-red; this will pull more coral or red depending on your undertone.
- Luxe Naturale: Pale peachy beige
- Midnight Mambo: Intense violet (I bought this shade and am testing it this week. Stay tuned for the lowdown on it)
|L-R: Divine Choice, Glamour Era, Lady at Play, Luxe Naturale, Midnight Mambo|
Cremesheen GlassTropical Taboo features 4 cremesheens. They're limited edition and retail for $20.
I typically don't go for the cremesheens because I find them a bit gloopy. Also, the wear time isn't phenomenal- they typically last between 1 to 2 hrs max on me.
If you're interested in more info. on these, here's a great review.
- Calypso Beat: Pale neutral peach
- Fever Isle: Bright red coral
- Japanese Spring: Pale dirty pink
- Narcissus: Dirty eggplant
|L-R: Calypso Beat, Fever Isle, Japanese Spring, Narcissus|
Lip PencilsThis collection features 4 lip pencils. They're limited edition shades and retail for $15.
- Ablaze: Bright apricot
- Have to Have it: Soft warm beige
- Heroine: Bright purple
- Hip 'n' Happy: Dirty blue pink
|L-R: Ablaze, Have to have it, Heroine, Hip 'n' Happy|
BrushesThis collection features 3 brushes from MAC's permanent line-up.
- 187 Duo Fibre Brush; Retails for $42
- 159 Duo Fibre Brush: Retails for $35
- 287 Duo Fibre Eye Shadow: Retails for $32
|L-R: 187, 159, 287|
Quite an extensive launch but MAC's summer launches always are!
The collection is available online on MAC and at counters in Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, Saks etc.
Stay tuned for reviews....and happy 4th of July!!
Have a lovely weekend,